Thursday, September 16, 2010

Leadership Ed and The Phases of Learning

I was reading Leadership Education for the first time a year ago. When I'd gotten about halfway through, I told my mom, "I think I'm reading a book that's going to change my life." I had no idea what that meant, but it turned out to be true! When I first started reading the book, my mindset was, "This is cool, but doesn't apply to me because I'm not raising a family." Before I'd finished, I was emailing Jen and Emily and asking how I could get involved in their Leadership Education community.

As I've been re-reading the book this year, I'm seeing lots of great ideas for how I want to concentrate more on my own education, and many ideas for inspiring the youth who are involved in our TJEd for Teens book club, my nieces and nephews, and the other youth I serve at church. Their potential and gifts have never been more present for me. I feel a much deeper need to enable them to use their talents and fulfill their missions in life. I have been concentrating on the Phase description portions of the book, seeing how each Phase differs, figuring out what kind of inspiration is effective at each step. I recognize better the gaps in my own education and I'm starting to see paths to closing those gaps. It's daunting and exhilirating and inspiring and...did I mention daunting?

I find mysef teetering between Love of Learning habits and Scholar habits; I'm going to try to push myself to work in Scholar mode more in this next year, and see how far I get. I have many things I need to read, and can't wait to discuss them with you, both in our Scholar book club and our Love of Learning book club. As always, I'm inspired by each person's contributions and insights, and I'm grateful for the friendships that we've formed as we pursue our educations. Let me know how I can be of help to you, if I can! I'm excited to keep growing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.