Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Great Expectations Ramblings

These aren't very collected thoughts, just sort of things I've been thinking about as I've read this month. I've never really liked Great Expectations; so much of it seems to be a succession of depressing scenes that don't lead to anything hopeful. But I liked the book a bit better this time through, and I'm trying to understand just why I like it better now. I think it's because I like Joe so much, for one thing. That honest blacksmith who never tries to be anything but exactly what he is, and who is so sensitive and generous throughout the story.

Also, I don't think Pip is as much a blockhead as I thought he was the first time I read this. Maybe it's because I'm a little older and hopefully a little wiser now, but I think he was genuinely trying to better himself, but was fatally hampered by pride. But he came by the pride through nurture, not nature. I think he was naturally very sweet and generous, and when his changed circumstances made everyone else in his life change their attitudes, how could he help his own changing, especially when he was so young? Pip's experience of suddenly having people interested in him because of his change in fortune is one of the big lessons of the book. Telling the difference between true friends and opportunistic ones is recognizing who is standing by you when your fortunes fall.

When given the chance, Pip did make some wrong choices but he managed to start making better ones, especially concerning Magwitch. I thought his eventual treatment of Magwitch was exemplary, and his generosity toward Estella and Ms. Havisham was, too. I think his "punishments" -- the burns, the cruel treatment by Orlick, the vanished expectations -- were too harsh when compared with his offenses, actually. I don't think he himself would agree, though. He condemned himself as harshly as possible.

I thought Wemmick was an interesting character. His fortified house, his stark divide between his work life and family life, his devotion to his "aged P", and his stealth wedding were all fascinating. I wish we had something to read from his perspective.

The lessons I take from Great Expectations: keep pride in check; loyalty to friends and family above all, except honor; stay out of debt, for heaven's sake; return ill treatment with forgiveness and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.