As I read this book, I realized I had read it once before and forgotten about it. In one of life’s funny little coincidences, the day before I read it I purged, cleaned and toddler-proofed my bedroom and came across 4 little index cards, each with a one minute goal on it that I had written more than 2 years ago. I didn’t use them very long before they got stashed in a pile in my bedroom.
Funny.
Here’s what I had written, along with my thoughts on them now. When I wrote these I had one child 3 or 4 years old. Now I have a 6 year old and 18 month old twins. Life is a little different for my family now.
1. I begin devotional every day by 9:30 am. I am happy to start my day off so well. I feel like a good mother. I enjoy spending quality time with Isabel.
1. I begin devotional every day by 9:30 am. I am happy to start my day off so well. I feel like a good mother. I enjoy spending quality time with Isabel.
I would love to be achieving this goal but it’s too dependent on things outside my control. I can’t make my daughter go faster than she goes in the morning and we don’t do devotional until she’s finished with her breakfast, bath, and chores.
2. I prepare dinner by 6:30 pm everyday. My family and I enjoy a yummy dinner and have plenty of time left for other activities. I feel like a good wife and mother. I will have time to do the dishes and read with Isabel.
2. I prepare dinner by 6:30 pm everyday. My family and I enjoy a yummy dinner and have plenty of time left for other activities. I feel like a good wife and mother. I will have time to do the dishes and read with Isabel.
This is still something I would like to achieve and have worked on in the past 6 months. I think I will start working on this again “one minute” style.
3. I am doing the dishes every night before bed. The Kitchen is clean for the next day. I feel like a good homemaker. I can relax better. I feel relieved and energized when I see it in the morning.
3. I am doing the dishes every night before bed. The Kitchen is clean for the next day. I feel like a good homemaker. I can relax better. I feel relieved and energized when I see it in the morning.
I have made progress on this. I’m still not 100% but much improved. I need to update this goal now based on my changed circumstances. Every night is not often enough. Twin toddlers trash my kitchen 3-4 times a day.
4. I go to bed by 11pm with Kelly. I get the rest I need and enjoy being with my husband. I am able to wake up earlier and have a better start to my day.
4. I go to bed by 11pm with Kelly. I get the rest I need and enjoy being with my husband. I am able to wake up earlier and have a better start to my day.
I still struggle with going to bed early enough but in addition to that challenge I need more sleep than I used to. I also know I need wind down time sitting in my bed reading before I will successfully go to sleep so I need to modify this goal.
So here are some updated one minute goals that I hope to work on using the one minute system.
1. I get up at 7 every weekday and walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I feel hope that this will rewire my brain and help it recover so that my walking and balance will improve and someday I will run again. I feel energized as I start my day. I have time to shower before my kids get up and I feel ready rather than behind.
2. I clean the Kitchen after every meal. Isabel works with me and I am teaching her how to work. I feel peaceful and calm every time I go into the kitchen to prepare a meal. I feel like a good mother and homemaker. I can relax in between meals better and still fit in time to play with and read to my kids.
3. I get in my bed by 9:30pm everynight and turn the lights off by 10:30. I get the rest I need. I feel happier being on the same schedule as my husband. I feel good that I’m setting myself up for a successful day.
I think this system is good and could work if I use it. I need to make new cards and keep them with me all day to remind me to use the goals, praises, and recoveries several times a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.