I hope I can adequately convey my thoughts about this book. Let me first confess that I haven’t finished reading The Fourth Turning yet. (How could I misplace a book I was right in the middle of? Only I could do something so careless.) Please consider that I’ve only read about half the book while reading my remarks, and forgive what may be ignorance or an incomplete understanding that fuels them. And I welcome rebuttals!
I found the book fascinating, especially considering that the men writing it more than a decade ago were talking about exactly what’s happening in the American culture, economy and society right now. They seem to be dead on, so far, and it’s interesting to see the parallels of how the different turnings have worked throughout recorded history. It’s comforting to see the cyclical patterns that emerge, actually, to know that there is consistency threaded among the chaos. I loved the thorough research and painstakingly gathered evidence presented to convince the reader that of the old adage, which we all need reminding of, that history repeats itself.
If I read The Fourth Turning correctly, the authors are telling me that I haven’t even begun to appreciate the depth and breadth of the changes that are coming; that the very system of life I’m used to is about to unravel and be reshaped in ways that can only be imagined. Well…I couldn’t have predicted the changes and upheavals I’ve already experienced in my life to this point, either. But I can change, too. I can adapt and do what I must to survive. And humanity’s shown a remarkable ability to do just that, over thousands of years of change and turnings.
Let’s be prepared, let’s be aware, and let’s educate ourselves. That’s the message I’m taking from The Fourth Turning. I’m going to keep my face turned to the future and prepare myself as best I can to meet it. What I won’t do is bemoan the loss of a past I’ve never known (or even one that I have), or live in fear that I’ll be mowed down, in any way, by imminent disaster.
What do you think, my fellow book-clubbers? Have I underestimated how concerned I ought to be about what’s to come?
Juli
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you are right on Juli. I welcome the changes that will move us away from such a "me first" society and towards a more community minded spirit. But, having listened to Dr. DeMille's warnings, I am very worried that the wrong side will win the battle for freedom in the next 20 years. I think if we do what he's suggested, we can win the battle and remain free. Check out his talk, The Freedom Crisis, on www.tjedmarketplace.com in the 2009 Forum recordings. You can download it for $3.
ReplyDelete